Thursday, May 24, 2007

Birds, boxes and unnecessary silliness

So 6am this morning (I haven't even been to bed) I was in the utility room looking out onto the orchard. I watched the birds for a while. Starlings and sparrows with juveniles, baby dunnocks and robins, blue tits, great tits, coal tits, blackbirds and jackdaws. Very relaxing watching them, almost made me forget feeling tired for once.

And I noticed a couple of great tits seemed to head to the feeders from one of the apple trees, always the same place, the place where there's a nest box attached to the tree.

So I kept an eye on them, and they're definitely feeding chicks in there! The first birds using one of my boxes. :) Yay!! I'm not sure how I didn't notice it before, but I'm looking forward to seeing the little yellow chicks when they fledge!

While I'm here I thought I'd mention that we don't call them great tits in this house. They are great tooths. It all started when I accidentally said Bluetooth instead of blue tit, and the name stuck - now quite a few birds are something-tooths, like coal tooths, gold tooths, green tooths. It's very silly. Also for no reasons, sparrows are spugs, starlings are storks, crows are croaks. It can be a bit confusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment