Monday, August 07, 2006

More hoggy stuff

Okay, Basil's doing well now, healing nicely (if only he wouldn't keep scratching his face!) and eating properly. Thank goodness.

I'm going to a "Fun Day" organised by a local pet shop on the 19th, and I'm having a stall and taking Rosey. I'll be talking to people about hogs and how to help them and selling my little knitted hogs to raise money for hog rescues. And people will be able to meet a real live prickler.

So I really need to get stuck in making the knitted hogs. I did quite a few at the weekend so I have around 20 ready now but I'm expecting to sell a lot. Why do I have to have 3 exams and an essay to do this week, dammit?

I've been playing around with different colours and combinations (including a red, white and blue one), and last night was suddenly inspired to make tiny tiny ones too. The normal ones are about 3" long and 2" wide, while the tiny ones are just 1.5" long, 1" wide (fiddly to make!) I thought the small ones would make good keyrings, perhaps.














And last night I tried modifying the hog pattern to make a mouse - I'm very pleased at how it turned out. But now my hands hurt. :(

9 comments:

  1. Oh wow, those little ones and the mouse are so cute! Hope you sell lots and lots Anna. Sorry about your hands though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided that Nic's mooses were so cute I had to make one of my own that didn't run away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so clever and must have the patience of a saint to make the little ones. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know about patience...

    I only make little things because I get bored so easily. I'd could make a jumper or anything, even though my knitting skills are probably up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW Anna - They look great - I wish I had that much skill with a needle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Nikki!

    The hogs are actually very easy to knit, only as complicated as increasing and decreasing. Each one takes me about 30 minutes to knit, and 20 to sew up.

    The mouse is based on the same pattern, but I added ears and legs and a tail, which was quite fiddly. It took me about 2 1/2 hours from scratch.

    I'd love have the attention span to knit bigger things, but without the reward of finishing something relatively quickly I get bored very easily. Maybe I'll try a baby blanket or something based on a lot of little squares.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy, I can let you have the pattern for the hogs if you want! It requires you to be able to knit, purl, increase and knit two together.

    Otherwise I'm happy to sell some to you, I'd have to find out how much the postage would be though if you're overseas... I'll be charging £1 to UK addresses, with a suggested donation of £2 per hog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anna, Glad to hear that Basil's ok. I love the knitted critters they are so cute! You are so talented and productive, unlike me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. *blushes*

    I don't know about talented, or productive! The hogs are much easier than they look, and I've been making them as an excuse to avoid any actual work!

    ReplyDelete