Sunday, August 05, 2007

Another parakeet sighting

Woke up to hear the 'keet screeching out front. I tell you, he can screech. When I went outside with the bins, he was sitting on the top of a telegraph pole.

Apparently he didn't like me looking at him and he flew into a neighbours garden, where I've heard him a few times since then. At least he's okay. And I'm pretty sure now he's a Monk parakeet (or Quaker parrot, since they are the same thing). Pretty bird.

In other bird news, we had a trip to Old Moor yesterday, first time in ages. 36 species, highlights included a great crested grebe catching fish right in front of me, two yellow wagtails (a life tick), a gorgeous juve great spotted woodpecker on the feeders, and a family of newly-hatched tufted ducks crossing the road just before we got to the car park. Two of them couldn't manage the kerb on the other side of the road, so I jumped out of the car and tried to help them. They kept jumping and failing and falling on their backs, poor things. I got one right way up and it got over, and the other legged it down the road, and eventually got up too. I don't think I helped very much, but I felt better that I'd at least tried! We did see the family later on the water, the female and 8 tiny ducklings. Cute.

And my hips are almost completely better.

4 comments:

  1. Aw, baby ducks, what a lovely sight that must have been. So glad to hear that your hips are almost better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the 'keet is still okay. It does have a good chance of surviving I think, as long as it gets enough food, it's got as good a chance as any wild bird I reckon if it's managed to evade preditors this long, it must be pretty street wise, hopefully an aviary bird and not a tame pet, gives it a better chance too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it means anything, I haven't heard it talking or making any other noise than two different screeches.

    Maybe that means it's an aviary bird. It seems used to people but won't let you get close.

    I've been putting extra food out but it hasn't been in the garden again as far as I know. The sparrows are loving it though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monk Parakeets are usually not solitary birds, they live in large colonies and build big nests. So likely an esape. Hope he can meet up with a wild flock!

    ReplyDelete