Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Some more uni/health stuff

I'm so not prepared for lectures to start again next week.

My lectures this semester are all morning ones, which is annoying. I'd prefer afternoon ones because then if I had a bad night I could sleep in. At the moment I'm getting to sleep somewhere between 2am and 5am and sleeping for 9 hours which seems to work okay. If I get up earlier I'm tired and hurty all day and still end up going to sleep at the same time anyway.

I'm trying to think laterally to find a way to make things easier for myself. Would it be unreasonable to ask my department to videotape my lectures? That way I could sleep in if I needed to, and still attend lab classes and tutorials (which are in the afternoons).

In related news I heard from the Disability and Dyslexia Support Service at uni. I'm applying for Disabled Student's Allowance which will basically pay for any additional costs I have that other students don't, for stuff I will need for my course. Like a laptop and an ergonomic desk and chair, and all the textbooks I'll ever use so I don't have to lug them home from the library and hurt my shoulders/back, and maybe some funky software to help me sort my notes and essays out.

Anyway, it turns out I haven't actually sent the forms in yet. I'd forgotten I hadn't done it, and was starting to get worried that I hadn't heard from the assessment centre (they'll assess me to see what help I actually need). Shows how much attention I've been paying. Stupid brain.

Also I've been trying to catch up and I am so bored of stats and SPSS. Yawn.

2 comments:

  1. Geez, you know our systems for this here in the US seem to be so different from yours. I don't know what to comment!


    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've talked to a few US students and the whole uni system does seem to be vastly different.

    My originally-nicknamed friend Tex, who has come to Sheffield to read Law, tried to explain it to me but to be fair, I can't listen to him for more than 5 minutes at a time without my ears bleeding. So I'm not much wiser. ;)

    It does seem that there's a lot of help for those of us who need it, we just have to jump through fucking hoops to get it!

    ReplyDelete